{ Contributes }

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

So it begins...

A Brief History


I have never been one who has been good at introducing myself, mainly because I find myself to be a very uninteresting person. I am just your typical 20-something year old trying to make a living and pay my way through college. Though, I have managed to begin to build a small foundation for myself while chasing after my dream of being a gaming journalist on top of a hidden internet history.



Back in the middle of high school, I did some articles for a few "wanna be" gaming sites. They were mainly sites that young college students were creating in hopes of becoming a big, popular web site or wanting to define their web design/journalism skills before putting together portfolios. I hopped around from site to site as a reviewer and with a few, I was a moderator for their forums; I even became a co-founder of a handful of forums. Over the course of about two to three years, my reviews were unofficially published on a variety of forums and web sites before time began to work against my fellow co-owners. Pretty much all of sites I had helped developed dropped off the map mainly since their original creator gave up on trying to balance a personal project with school work.


Growing anxious in wanting to start gaining experience, I took some time to look into free web hosting services in order to begin my own web site - a Resident Evil fan site known as Wondering Zombie. I started it during the summer between my junior and senior year in high school, while teaching myself basic HTML and web design. However, my desires and dreams for the site were too much for me to achieve on my own. I wanted it to eventually be a hub full of information on every Resident Evil game, including plot timelines, character profiles, game files, etc... but I was the only one among my friends who understood HTML. I attempted to teach them some coding in order to gain a bit of support to supply content, but I was receiving very little feedback from them and most had little interest in wanting to actual help with the harder part of the site: building the damn thing. As a result, a year after creating it, I placed a bullet in its head back in the middle of 2009. Although the forums remained fairly active for quite sometime after the site itself shut down. A few loyal members attempted to keep it alive but like all good things, they withered away.


I cannot recall the specific date, but I was recruited by a friend and independent web/game developer, Andrew Rabon., for the development of Project Gforum. Sadly, I did not contribute much to its actual production; Andrew handled all the coding and web host. I, however, worked on providing continuous content to keep readers interested on top of handling the "marketing" aspects of the site - helping to provide events and gaining notice with the public. (I guess I could also be considered the Community Director.) Out of all the sites, Project Gforum is the only one that has grown and still has an active community.


Then in February of 2010, I decided to respond to one of Destructoid's Monthly Musing articles. My first articles regarding the Resident Evil series was promoted to the front page, igniting a new flame of passion in me for video game journalism. Throughout the year and a half I wrote for them, I have had a total of four articles published on their homepage.


As of recently, I have started writing for Royal Flush Magazine- a pop culture magazine. Hence the creation of this blog, which is now a hub for the three sites I contribute to as well as any miscellaneous information about me.




As of Recent

Watching movies has become a bit more of a hobby of mine as of recently. Over the summer, I went through a Vince Price phase, watching a handful of his black and white and colored works. (House on Haunted Hill has become my favorite film.) Then I had fallen in love with Doctor Who. A  group of friends kept encouraging me to watch it and I marathoned the newer seasons on Netflix. Once I started watching it, I could not stop.  I really enjoyed the sci-fi feeling and acting, though the first 'newer' season was a tad cheesy but the production values and acting got better in the later episodes. I was really impressed with David Tennant's talent after watching his seasons as The Doctor and watching a few other movies he was in. (In particular, I was blown away by his performance as Hamlet in Hamlet.) I also watched Sherlock - the BBC mini series from 2010 - where I discovered another fantastic actor, Benedict Cumberbatch. I ended up watching another short PBS series he did in 2008 that was a bit of a twist on 1984 by applying the 'big brother' conspiracy theory to modern day events. I am not sure why, but I really have gotten into television shows and movies that make you think. Especially ones with psychological themes and unsuspecting twists. (I watched American Psycho for the first time last week and was blown away by the Catcher in the Rye tones it had.) 


I have also started exploring other genres of music. I have developed quite a liking for jazz for some odd reason but have been having trouble finding bands to listen to. Though I've grown to really enjoy progressive rock and mixed genre music. Last month, I got a chance to see Owen Beverly live at a local, hole-in-the-wall bar and was simply blown away.  I also stumbled upon David Gray not too long ago. Both singers have very similar approaches towards lyrics but two different tastes with their sound. Beverly is on the heavy rock with a twist of blues to him while Gray has more of a mellow, cheery-yet-melancholic tone.


And that is pretty much it. I think that's not a bad recap of my internet life with a bit of insight into my current life. Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment